- A brief history of Solution Focused Practice: origins, assumptions and evolution;
- Introduction to the main ‘ingredients’ of an initial solution-focused conversation (with video clips).
- Further exploration and illustration (with video clips and exercises) of:
– Contracting/best hopes
– Preferred future
– Eliciting descriptions of progress and instance
- Overview of follow-up sessions.
- Brief discussion on using solution-focused questions outside the ‘pure’ therapy/coaching model (i.e. in the context of other roles) and reflections on applications to your work.
- Recap on Day 1 in the light of your experiences and reflections since Day 1 – dealing with questions and revisiting Day 1 material as necessary.
- Skills practice – with detailed feedback from the trainer – on:
- Contracting/best hopes
- Preferred future
- Detailed exploration and illustration (with video clips and exercises) of:
- Scaling and progress descriptions including exceptions and instances
- ‘Coping’ questions
- Further detail and skills practice on follow-up sessions.
- Recap on Day 1/2 in the light of your experiences and reflections since Day 2 – dealing with questions and revisiting Day 1/2 material as necessary.
- Further skills practice tailored to your needs and wishes on the day but focusing on combining the different solution focused ingredients throughout a whole conversation with a single client OR a team/group; may also cover delivering a solution-focused service, if of relevance.
- Reflections on learning and where to go next with your SF practice.
The three-day course should give participants the skills and knowledge to begin working immediately in a solution-focused way in one-to-one helping conversations. It is recommended that this practice is supported by regular supervision (at least 1.5 hours per month) from an experienced solution-focused practitioner, as it can be difficult to continue working in a solution-focused way in isolation without this support.
The Psychological Therapies Unit offer follow-up one-to-one or group supervision sessions, at a rate of £70 for a 1.5 hour one-to-one session or a lower rate (dependent on how many people attend) for a 2.5 hour group session. If you are interested or have any questions about the supervision process, please do get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.