Due to the pandemic, the majority of our appointments are currently being conducted via video call. We are running a face to face service at this time, however, this is subject to change as per government guidelines.
Working Conversations grew out of a mutual interest of Steve Flatt and Dr. Suzi Curtis had in the effectiveness of Solution Focused Practice as a way of using language to help people move towards how they’d like their lives to be. That interest has gradually developed over the last decade to the point where Solution Focused Practice is the underpinning approach across all of the projects under our umbrella.
We are a not for profit organisation based in Liverpool that strives to offer mental health services to anyone. We work using a solution focused approach to help people realise and achieve the changes they would like to see in their environments, lives or organisations. As well as therapy, we offer a range of training courses based around use of the solution focused approach. We believe that effective mental health services should be available to all and that no member of the community should struggle based on their circumstances. Access to these services should be straightforward and uncomplicated, particularly at a time when people are distressed and confused by their life and circumstances.
Our approach is non stigmatising as we see distress as a normal and natural response to upsetting, unusual or traumatic life events. We don’t use specialist language, we don’t diagnose, label or try to categorise the people we work with, instead, we use the everyday language of those we work with in order to reinforce the fact that the conversations are driven by you, the client.
Working Conversations is exactly as the title describes, a way of using language to help people work through aspects of their lives that they may be struggling with and want to change. We work, using conversation, to help people recognise and develop the skills, qualities and traits that they already possess that enables them to cope with their circumstances; help them build on these existing strengths in order to move closer to their hopes for a preferred future. People come to us because they want to make a change, we don’t assume that we know what those changes would be, instead, through conversation we help them to make discoveries about themselves and their abilities from their history, current circumstances and hopes for the future.
To provide therapy and training using solution-focused conversations to generate positive and uplifting changes for individuals, groups, organisations and communities. Our beliefs are set out below:
- People are capable of making their own rational decisions about their lives
- People know best about what it is they want
- Our job is simply to help individuals achieve the best possible outcomes in their circumstances
- Individual help is important and can be life-changing; however, there is also a fundamental need for work to be done at community levels
- Such work consists of contributions towards systemic change, improving quality of life, level of security and sense of future for both individuals and communities
- Environmental circumstances can be improved through actions at a community level, rather than relying on a top-down approach that is frequently remote from the point of change